Each year, Black Duck Software identifies the top new open source projects in the Open Source Rookies of the Year program. Compiled using data from Ohloh and the Black Duck KnowledgeBase, the Ohloh team wants to give a shout out to all the 2011 Open Source Rookies of the Year:
- Bootstrap is a toolkit from Twitter designed to kickstart development of webapps and sites. It includes base CSS and HTML for typography, forms, buttons, tables, grids, navigation, and more.
- BrowserID , a secure, distributed, and easy to use identification system.
- Canvas is an LMS project from Instructure.
- Cloud Foundry is an open Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) project.
- Moai is an open source SDK that enables game developers to focus on great gameplay and content, code in the easy-to-use Lua scripting language they already know, use ready-to-roll libraries for animation and physics, and avoid rewriting game code for different devices.
- Mooege is a game-server emulator being crafted in c#
- OpenShift is Red Hat’s free, auto-scaling Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) built on open source technologies that enable developers to quickly deploy applications to the cloud. OpenShift supports many popular languages, frameworks and middleware components.
- rstat.us is a distributed microblogging platform.
- Salt is an open source configuration management and remote execution application. Salt is written with the intent of making central system management and configuration as simple, yet as flexible as possible. Salt is the core application of the saltstack project.
And the Honorable Mentions:
- Apache Rave is a new web and social mashup engine. It will provide an out-of-the-box as well as an extendible lightweight Java platform to host, serve and aggregate (Open)Social Gadgets and services through a highly customizable and Web 2.0 friendly front-end. Rave is targeted as engine for internet and intranet portals and as building block to provide context-aware personalization and collaboration features for multi-site/multi-channel (mobile) oriented and content driven websites and (social) network oriented services and platforms. For the OpenSocial container and services the (Java) Apache Shindig will be integrated. At a later stage further generalization is envisioned to also transparently support W3C Widgets using Apache Wookie.
- OpenStack Horizon is the official OpenStack Dashboard. It is based on a Django module called django-openstack. Both the django-openstack module, as well as a reference implementation of a fully functional Django site called openstack-dashboard, are part of this project. As of the Diablo release, Horizon is now an OpenStack Core project and is a fully supported OpenStack offering.
- Rudder – Configuration management for the masses.
Hear from the developers of Rookies projects Eclipse Orion, Apache Rave and Mozilla BrowserID, as they share their experiences working with open source foundations. Join in for this lively discussion on February 28th at 11:30am EST: Code Well and Prosper with OSS Foundations: How Apache, Eclipse and Mozilla help developers succeed!
Watch for more OS Rookies webinars and congrats to all the Rookies.